WhatsApp frequently discontinues support for several outdated devices each year. The Meta-owned messaging network won’t function after December 31 for more than 40 cellphones, including two older iPhones. See if your phone is included in the list.
These Phones Won’t Support WhatsApp!
The least used and earliest operating systems and devices for WhatsApp are being retired. Currently, WhatsApp works with Android 4.1 and later, iOS 12, and KaiOS 2.5.0 and later (including the JioPhone and the JioPhone 2).
The list (via GizChina) contains 49 phones that will not be able to run WhatsApp post December 31. Have a look at it.
- Apple: iPhone 5, iPhone 5c
- Samsung: Galaxy Ace 2, Galaxy Core, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3 mini, Galaxy Trend II, Galaxy Trend Lite, Galaxy Xcover 2
- LG: LG Enact, Lucid 2, Optimus 4X HD, Optimus F3, Optimus F3Q, Optimus F5, Optimus F6, Optimus F7, Optimus L2 II, Optimus L3 II, Optimus L3 II Dual, Optimus L4 II, Optimus L4 II Dual, Optimus L5, Optimus L5 Dual, Optimus L5 II, Optimus L7, Optimus L7 II, Optimus L7 II Dual, Optimus Nitro HD
- Sony: Xperia Arc S, Xperia miro, Xperia Neo L
- Huawei: Ascend D, Ascend D1, Ascend D2, Ascend G740, Ascend Mate, Ascend P1
- Wiko Cink Five
- Wiko Darknight ZT
- Memo ZTE V956
- Quad XL
- Lenovo A820
- Archos 53 Platinum
- Grand S Flex ZTE
- Grand X Quad V987 ZTE
- HTC Desire 500
While most people would be on newer Android or iOS versions and have access to the latest smartphones (leaving a small set of people getting affected by this changed), old phones might still be in use and if yours on the list, it is time to upgrade! Do let us know if you are still using any of the aforementioned smartphones in the comments below.